Healthy skin healthy aging is this true, that your skin can show if you are aging healthy or not. It is important to consider what moisturizer or soap to use.
A healthy skin is the skin that is well hydrated this can be achieved by drinking enough water as mentioned in my previous post 5rs of healthy aging. Skin is 75% water and not drinking enough water is damaging to the skin. It can cause skin disease like eczema. Eczema is a skin disease due to dehydration, the body needs enough water to dilute the toxins so that during sweating these toxins will not damage the skin. Due to inadequate water intake the toxins are released on the skins causing eczema.
A healthy skin is the skin that is smooth and glowing with no cracks on the surface, it is warm and not hot or red. Skin should be tight and firm, even tone. To achieve a healthy skin that some food and drink that need to be avoided and some food that you need to consider eating more. Except for people with certain healthy issues, everyone can have a healthy skin by eating and drinking the right stuff, sleeping enough and with proper skin care e.g washing and moisturizing your skin
Skin and food
There is a relationship between what you eat and your skin. Your skin can reflects your overall health, it can determine if you are aging healthy or not. It is true that beauty comes from the inside, what you consume can ether beautify your outside or the opposite. When eat healthy, we feel good and eventually look good. The food we consume can cause skin problems, refined carbohydrates, which is processed sugars or flour e.g cakes, pastries etc can cause acne, pimples, blackheads, ages the skin.
Diary food are pro inflammatory foods which has a tendency of worsening skin conditions like acne, eczema and some rashes. It is also a common food sensitivity which can trigger inflammatory response all over the body which can trigger inflammatory skin flare-ups.
Alcohol causes dehydration and skin cells need water for nourishment, revitalize and regeneration. Dehydrated skins gets itch, flaky, dry, dark sports, circles around the eyes and wrinkly.
Fried food and oxidized food damage the cellular structure of the dermis and epidermis, hence the skin will lose its ability to retain moisture and causes the skin to age
Excess caffeine is a diuretic and hence it dehydrates the skin and skin becomes dry, flaky and wrinkly. Three cups of coffee per day can stimulate the release of corticosol which is a stress hormone. Stress is associated with speeding aging
Skin and moisturizer
It is true that moisturizing skin is important but the truth is the main job to have a healthy skin is in what you consume. It does not matter how expensive, good quality or best proven moisturizer you use it can only do a little. However, if you consume the right things and use the right moisturizer you will have the healthy skin that is well, hydrated, glowing, free from cracks and diseases, well moisturized, firm and tight.
- Increases the water content of the stratum corneum which supports skin hydration and when skin is hydrated the skin surface will be soft, more extensible and pliable
- Anti inflammatory action it inhibits the production of pro inflammatory prostanoids resulting in soothing to inflamed skin.
- Antimitotic action, in psoriasis there is a high activity of mitosis of the epidermis and the anti mitotic effects counteracts the high mitotic activities that causes inflamed psoriasis
- Antipruritic action it down regulates the cytokines which reduces itching. Water based moisteners have the same effects they reduce itchiness. When you know the purpose of moisturizing your skin it is important to know the right moisturizer to use for your skin. The problem peoples just use moisturizer because it worked for a friend or recommended by a colleague. You should should know if that works with your own skin. There are four main different type of moisturizers; a) Emollients these are lipids and oils that hydrates, improves skin smoothness, flexibility and softness. b) Squalene as a moisturizer is a component of human sebum the lipid produced by the human skin cell, however past the age of 30 the production of the squalene reduces drastically which causes dry skin. The squalene protects the skin from effects ultraviolet exposure. It also treats some skin disease like psoriasis, acne, seborrhea dermatitis. c) Humectants theses are gyroscopic effects moisturizers meaning they attract water from two surface dermis into epidermis and in humid condition from the environment. These have emollients effects as well and they reduce itchiness. d) Occlusive are moisturizers that creates hydrophobic barrier to the skin, they cover the crakes on the skin to prevent water loss from the skin. It is important to note that moisturizer are not one size feet all. There are moisturizers for face and neck, body and feet, anti aging best for the over 30s. Use the right moisturizer for the right part of your body so that you can benefit from them.
Skin care tips
Few tips on how to have a healthy skin
- Eat healthy food
- Eat more fruit and vegetable and food that are high antioxidants
- Avoid hot and long baths use have warm short baths.
- Wash face and neck with semi cold water in upward semi circles motions.
- Use the right moisturizer for the face and neck
- Drink up to 2litres of water daily start your day with water and finish with water
- Stop smoking
- Stop excess use of alcohol
- Avoid drugs
- Sleep 6-8 hrs every day
- Avoid stress
- Exercise and keep fit
- Smile and laugh more and avoid frowning
Having a healthy skin is important because it reflects your overall healthy and a reflection to what is happening within your body. Importantly consume the right things and stop destroying your body and skin with what you consume. After all make sure you use the right moisturizer for your skin to preserve and maintain its beauty. Do not forget to consider the following when making a decision on what moisturizer to use for your skin:
- Does it reduce and prevent further transiepidermal water loss?
- Does it restore lipid barrier?
- Is it hypo allergic, fragrance free and non sensitizing?
- Does it absorbs immediately?
- Is it cosmetically acceptable
- Is it affordable Remember to have a healthy skin is a commitment and not a miracle so be committed to do all you can to eat the right things and use the right stuff to your skin.